Architecture You Love
A North Carolina 501C3 Educational Nonprofit Archive Documenting, Preserving, and Promoting Residential Modernist Architecture

facebooktwitteryoutubeinstagramvimeoemail

Enjoy browsing, but unless otherwise noted, these houses are private property and closed to the public -- so don't go tromping around uninvited.

 

DALLAS CARROLL ABEE, AIA (1910-2003) 

Abee's father was Solomon Lafayette Abee who started in Hickory in 1935 as an architect. Abee was in the first graduating class of the old Hickory High School which became the Catawba Arts and Science Center. He earned a BS in Architectural Engineering from NCSU in 1931 and opened a solo office in 1935.

During WWII, he worked for the Oak Ridge TN office of Skidmore Owings and Merrill. He was asked to go with them to New York but he decided to return to Hickory instead.  

He partnered with Aiji Tashiro in 1948 then went solo in 1952. Abee and Tashiro were the original architects for Lutheridge in Arden NC. In 1958 he partnered with James Elbert Biggs and went solo again in 1963.

Abee designed many buildings, including the Wildacres Conference Center near Little Switzerland NC. His son is architect Dallas Carroll Abee, Jr., who had George Matsumoto as a design instructor at NCSU. 

His advice to those starting out in the field of architecture, "Unless you really want to work long, hard hours, don't do it. You have to work hard to be successful in this business."




1941 - The Clinton Cilley House, 869 7th Street NW, Hickory NC. Built by MG Crouch Lumber and Building Company. As of 2013 owned by Robert Theodore Hambrick, Jr.



1941 - The John Springs House, 857 7th Street NW, Hickory NC. Traditional house built by MG Crouch Lumber and Building Company. Sold to Ralph and Elizabeth Gabriel. Sold in 2006 to Pamela and Jeffrey Hale who still owned it as of 2013. Photo by Dallas Carroll Abee Jr.



1947 - The Hugh Boyer House, 824 7th Street NW, Hickory NC. Traditional house. Built by M G Crouch Lumber and Building Company. Photo by Dallas Carroll Abee Jr.  



1948 - The GA Flowers House, 518 1st Avenue NW, Hickory NC. Traditional house built by MG Crouch Lumber and Building Company. As of 2013 owned by Elaine and Robert Hadley. Photo by Dallas Carroll Abee Jr.




1949 - The A. C. Bovender, Jr. House, 950 3rd Street NW, Hickory NC. Built by MG Crouch Lumber and Building Company.




1950 - The Perry Starnes House, 449 5th Avenue Place NE, Hickory NC. Built by MG Crouch Lumber and Building Company. Deeded in 2006 to Elizabeth A. Starnes, Jacob T. and Johnathan K. Crim, and Jane E. Cullens. Sold in 2008 to Monty W. and Susanne M. Matthews. Sold in 2010 to Blaire E. Cody III.


 

1952 - The McLaughlin Residence, Conover NC. Built by MG Crouch Lumber and Building Company.


1954 - The Jake H. Shuford Apartments, 1013 14th Avenue NW, Hickory NC. Built by MG Crouch Lumber and Building Company. Two buildings. Sold in 1973 to Don G. and Anne R. Hammersla, and C. B. and Reba M. Scott. Sold in 1977 to Grady M. and Gayle G. O'Neal. Destroyed in 1982 and replaced with the two buildings above.




Around 1955 - The Rick Spreagle House, 1430 6th Street NW, Hickory NC. Designed with James E. Biggs. Photo by Dallas Carroll Abee Jr.

1955 - The L. P. (Lee) Frans House, 1608 6th Street NW, Hickory NC. Traditional house built by MG Crouch Lumber and Building Company. Sold to Bill L. Whitener. As of 2012 owned by Melvin Wayne Davis. Photo by Dallas Carroll Abee Jr.




1957 - The J. Spurgeon and Beulah Abee Phillips House, 530 5th Avenue NE, Hickory NC. Built by MG Crouch Lumber and Building Company. Heirs deeded 3/4 interest in 1988 to Josephine P. Krimminger. Transferred in 2006 to the Krimminger Trust. Sold in 2013 to Emily S. and Ryan P. Carroll.





1957 - The Burand McGinnis House, 101 Montrose Street, Morganton NC.
Built by MG Crouch Lumber and Building Company. Sold in 1998 to Jan E. Salisbury Trustee.



1958 - The Clarence L. and Elsie E. Whisnant House, 1230 6th Street NW, Hickory NC. Designed with James E. Biggs.Built by MG Crouch Lumber and Building Company. Deeded in 1971 to Marie Shipman King and Alfred N. Whisnant. Addition in 1972. Deeded 1980 by trust to Joanne W. and Wade H. Shuford Jr. who still owned it as of 2012.

http://thumbs.trulia-cdn.com/pictures/thumbs_4/ps.60/3/4/f/d/picture-uh=b79eba4e8b3742db17a319f733ff7e5-ps=34fd142df7cb3445eef6a841d25c314-750-8th-Street-Dr-NW-Hickory-NC-28601.jpg

http://thumbs.trulia-cdn.com/pictures/thumbs_4/ps.60/1/6/7/d/picture-uh=6065fadfc1f999a3444eda7d22db3515-ps=167ded324530f4fc14da48630d1c56b.jpg

http://thumbs.trulia-cdn.com/pictures/thumbs_4/ps.60/e/7/f/3/picture-uh=c3611ec8e644e62d5617565d7859b47-ps=e7f39c95ee91dffd5e2fa0d75f34eed.jpg

 1959 - The James E. (Jim) and Ellen S. Biggs Jr. House, 750 8th Street Drive NW, Hickory NC. Engineering by Jim Briggs. Built by MG Crouch Lumber and Building Company. Sold 1968 to Virginia C. and Norman M. Neagle. Sold multiple times. Sold 1997 to Richard L. Reese. Sold in 2014 to Evan J. Ellis-Raymer and James H. Raymer.




1959 - The William M. Nave House, 2000 block of 2nd Street NW, Hickory NC. Built by MG Crouch Lumber and Building Company.




1960 - The Andrew L. Blackwelder House, 1040 15th Avenue NW, Hickory NC. Traditional house built by MG Crouch Lumber and Building Company. Sold to Robert P. Augustine. Sold in 2004 to Peter Henry Eimer who still owned it as of 2012.




1961 - The Harry Whitener House, 804 4th Avenue Drive NW, Hickory NC. Traditional house built by MG Crouch Lumber and Building Company. Deeded in 1995 to wife Eva S. Whitener. Still owned as of 2015 by Eva S. Whitener.




1962 - The Lawrence A. and Hazel B. Twisdale House, 2030 2nd Street NW, Hickory NC. Designed with James Biggs. Built by MG Crouch Lumber and Building Company. Passed to heirs in 2012.




1963 - The Thomas (Cass) and Donna Ballenger House, 867 20th Avenue Drive NW, Hickory NC. Traditional house built by MG Crouch Lumber and Building Company. Deeded in 2004 to Donna D. Ballenger. Thomas Cass Ballenger was a member of the U.S. House of Representatives from North Carolina's 10th District for 19 years from 1986-2005.




1964 - The Ms. Glenn Morris House, Crestview Street, Granite Falls NC. Built by MG Crouch Lumber and Building Company.




1965 - The John Forlines House, State Road 1109, Granite Falls NC. Built by MG Crouch Lumber and Building Company.


1970 - The Geraldine Fuller and Hurshell H. Keener House, 3909 8th Street Court, Hickory NC. Traditional design, on Lake Hickory.  Sold in 2016 to Mitchell K. Greene.




Year unknown - The Mrs. B. Y. Hefner House, location unknown. Unsure if built.



Year unknown - The Millie Dalton House, Granite Falls NC. Unsure if built.



Year unknown - The E. F. Gardner House, location unknown. Unsure if built.

Sources include: D. Carroll Abee Jr., Virginia Faust, MG Crouch Lumber and Building Company.