Brian Shawcroft grew up in Nottingham, England.  He graduated from the West Essex Technical College and School of Art in 1953 with an ARIBA degree. He interned for Tomei and Maxwell in London in 1954, Slater Uren and Pike from 1954-1956, Page and Steele in Toronto from 1956-1959, and Eduardo Catalano in Cambridge in 1960.

He finished his Masters in Architecture at both MIT and Harvard University in 1960. From then until 1968 he was an associate professor of architecture at the NCSU School of Design. For a number of years he worked with Holloway and Reeves, then started a private practice as Shawcroft, Burns, and Kahn.  In 1968, he joined with Dan MacMillan to form MacMillan, MacMillan, Shawcroft and Thames which broke up in 1970.

For a time, he worked with Harwell Hamilton Harris at his office on Cox Avenue.  With Clay Taylor, he established the firm Shawcroft-Taylor in 1971 which lasted until 1990 when he became McKimmon Edwards Shawcroft with Jimmy Edwards and Arthur McKimmon.

From the 1970’s through the late 1990’s, despite the fact that house design is rarely profitable, Shawcroft carried the torch for local Modernist architecture, designing much of the built inventory.  In 1991, Shawcroft was awarded the Henry Kamphoefner Prize.  He continues designing houses from his own Modernist home/office in Raleigh.

Shawcroft underwrites a yearly freehand drawing prize of $1,000 at the NCSU College of Design.  All photos by Shawcroft unless noted.

1962 – The Hans and Christian Gerhard House, 2707 Sevier Street, Durham.  Designed while Shawcroft worked for Charles Kahn.  Built by C. S. Witt.  Sold in 1966 to Philip and Helen Pratt.  Sold in 1994 to Adam and Sheryl Fowler who still owned it as of 2012.  4613 square feet.  Bottom four photos by Sheryl Fowler.

1962 – The Nathan and Rita Kaufman House, 2532 Sevier Street, Durham.  Sold in 1967 Frederick and Arlene Thurstone.  Sold in 1990 to George and Amalia Somjen who still owned it as of 2012.  May be sold.

1962 – The Louis and Helen DeAlessi House, 2624 McDowell Road, Durham. Built by C. S. Witt.   Published in Southern Living.  Sold in 1968 to Philip and Mary Lou Stevenson.  Sold in 1987 to Gregory Ruff.  Sold in 1993 to Erol and Deniz Gelenbe.  Sold in 1998 to Daniel Barboriak who still owned it as of 2014.  Renovations built by Leon Meyers Builders.

1963 – The Bruce and Nancy Wardropper House, 3443 Rugby Road, Durham.  2280 square feet.  Doug Janes designed the carport and has plans on hand for a bathroom renovation.  Sold in 2006 to Deborah Kargl.  Part of the TMH May 2008 tour.

1964 – The Leroy B. and Charlotte M. Martin House, built to the west of Crabtree Valley, Raleigh.  Had its own private bridge over Crabtree Creek off of Highway 70.  Built by C. S. Witt.  Sold to a developer and the house destroyed around 2001.

1965 – The Donald A. Seanor House, 6 Davie Lane, Chapel Hill. Commissioned 1963. Sold in 1967 to Lucy Conant. Sold in 1975 to June Burbage. Sold in 1981 to John and Daphne Garner.  Sold in 1974 to Mark Shuman.  Sold in 2004 to Amy and Jeff Demagistris.  Top two photos by Taylor Lewis.  Bottom photo by Lucy Pittman.

1966 – The Julia Watkins House, 1708 Curtis Road, Chapel Hill.
Sold in 1993 to Margaret Sachs who still owned it as of 2012.

1966 – The Robert W. and Ann Work Residence III, 1800 Rangecrest Road, Raleigh. Built by Cameron Construction.  This was Shawcroft’s second house for the Work family and the family’s third Modernist house.  Sold to Elmer and Michelle Wellons in 1984.  Sold in 1986 to Robert and Carole Spitz who still owned it as of 2012. Sold in 2014 to Kathy and Daniel Cody.  B/W photos by Taylor Lewis.  Color photos by Leilani Carter.

1968 – The Kenneth and Aspasia Knoerr Residence, 1608 Woodburn Road, Durham.
As of 2012 still owned by the Knoerrs.

1971 – The Stack Residence, Fayetteville NC.  Destroyed by fire, unsure of the year.

1974 – The Charles and Joann Jones Residence, 3705 Shadybrook Road, Raleigh. Joann Jones died young and her husband later remarried.  Sold to Jerry C. Liebhart in 1986.  Sold to Triple B Investment (Baxter Benson) in 1988.  Sold to John Kilgore in 1991.  Sold to James and Molly Kuehn in 1995.  Sold in 2001 to  Mack and Julie Paul who still owned it as of 2014. They began renovations in 2007 designed and built by Vinny Petrarca.  The original under-the-house carport was converted to an interior family room/guest suite and a separate garage added.  Additional renovations in 2014 designed and built by Raleigh Architecture and Construction.

1975 – The Charles L. Fulton Residence, 3624 Williamsborough Court, Raleigh.  Was on the market for two years with no serious offers, according to neighbor Gregory Poole, Jr.  With the house in deteriorating condition, Poole purchased the land and destroyed the house.

1976 – The Brian Shawcroft House I, 1509 Pineview Street, Raleigh.
Sold in 1997 by Rodney and Nancy Rich who still owned it as of 2012.

1976 – The Frank H. and Lillian Moore House, 13300 Durant Road, Raleigh.  Sold in 1994 to Paul and Alice Chou.  Shawcroft designed a renovation in 2013, unbuilt.

1976 – The William and Shahrivar Wakeham House, 6809 West Lake Anne Drive, Raleigh.  Shawcroft and partners Clay Taylor and Jerry Cook designed this home for a client who ultimately did not pay their design bill.  Undeterred, they built the house anyway and sold it to architect William Wakeham and his wife Shahrivar.  William Wakeham designed a house next door at 6801 West Lake Anne Drive for his wife’s mother (here).

Sold in 1997 to Michael and Linda Carter who still owned it as of 2012.  They put on an rear addition (bottom photo), which was designed by a builder (who went bankrupt and moved) but was finished up by Chris Nipper of Custom Renovations.

1976 – The Albert D. (Al) and Beverly Wolfheimer Theatre Addition, 5421 Thayer Drive, Raleigh NC.  Sold in 2014 to Brian and Shannon Vetter.

1983 – The Mac and Julie McVay House, 3104 Churchill Road, Raleigh.  This was one of Raleigh’s first accessible Modernist houses, built to accommodate Mac McVay who suffered from polio.  Features wheelchair access allowed many views from his chair to the outside, plus curved walls. As of 2012 owned by the Julie McVay Trust.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.