||A North Carolina 501C3 Educational Nonprofit Archive Documenting, Preserving, and Promoting Residential Modernist Architecture
Enjoy browsing, but unless otherwise noted, these houses are private property and closed to the public -- so don't go tromping around uninvited.
ALBERT LEWIS (AL) HASKINS, JR., FAIA (1910-2002)
Haskins was born in Reidsville NC. He took courses in Civil Engineering from UNC Chapel Hill 1927-1928 and received his architecture degree at Georgia Tech in 1931. He worked for Louis F. Voorhees in High Point, WC Olsen Consulting Engineers in Raleigh, William Henley Deitrick in Raleigh, Linthicum & Linthicum Architects in Raleigh, and Allen J. Maxwell of Goldsboro. From 1937-41, he worked in Richmond for Portland Cement Association and for Baskerville and Son Architects. In 1941, he moved to Newport News to manage the office of Williams, Coile, & Pipino Architects and Engineers. He married Raleigh native Anne Simms that year. They returned to Raleigh in 1945 whene he briefly ran a solo firm. In 1946, he joined with Thomas Cooper and Dick Rice to form Cooper & Haskins and Rice.
In 1954, Cooper retired and the firm became Haskins & Rice, a partnership that would last for decades. Haskins' background in engineering and his knowledge of construction and building codes complemented Dick Rice’s love of design. It was a creative, productive partnership. Even before laws were made concerning handicapped facilities in the states, Haskins was a strong proponent of accessible buildings.
According to his daughter, Betty Anne Schlegel, when Haskins moved to Raleigh in 1945, there were about five architects in practice. He got them together for lunch at the S&W Cafeteria, an event which was the precursor to the Raleigh Section of AIANC, of which he was President in 1961-62.
From 1956 to 1958 he was an associate professor at the NCSU School of Design. In the 1980's the firm became Haskins Rice Savage and Pearce; then Pearce Brinkley Cease + Lee; then in 2013 it was merged into Clark Nexsen. As of 2009, his daughter Kathleen was a principal at the firm.
1949 - The Albert and Anne Haskins House, 2331 Churchill Road, Raleigh. An addition was completed in 1964. Destroyed for a new house, bottom photo, in 1993.
1951 - The John and Lucy Milner House, 2325 Hathaway Road, Raleigh. Sold in 2011 to Leah Friedman and Stephen Feldman.
1954 - The Albert L. and Leah Heilig Levine House, 2409 Lakeview Drive, Raleigh. Traditional design. Remodeled 1970 and 1981. Transferred to the Levine daughters, Sarah Levine Weisman and Debra Levine Rubinstein. Photos by Leilani Carter. Destroyed in 2014.
1950 - The L. Gordon Sinclair House, 3309 White Oak Road, Raleigh. Destroyed and replaced in 2005, bottom photo.
Around 1955 - The Colonel and Mrs. John W. Harrelson Remodel, 1903 Hillsborough Street, Raleigh NC. The original house was built in 1930. Destroyed in the early 2000's. The site became the NC State Chancellor's House (photo). In 2016, it became the Gregg Museum of Art.
Other traditional houses designed by Haskins and Rice in Raleigh include:
The Pembroke Baker Renovation, 1900 St. Mary's Street, Raleigh.
Dr. & Mrs. D. B. Anderson
B. O. Betts House, probably 424 Canterbury, Raleigh. Needs verification.
The J. Melville Broughton, Jr. House
W. T. Ward * M. G. Mann
Rochelle Johnson * Earl T. Jones
G. L. Firth Renovation, 522 Oakwood Avenue, Raleigh.
Fred M. Haig, farm on Creedmoor Road, Raleigh.
Robert Hanley (off Fairview Road)
Sources include: M. Ruth Little's The Development of Modernism in Raleigh 1945-1965, partner Irvin Pearce, daughter Kathleen Haskins Thompson, partner Richard Rice, daughter Betty Anne Haskins Schlegel, History of The North Carolina Chapter of the AIA 1913-1998: An Architectural Heritage by C. David Jackson and Charlotte V. Brown, Pearce Brinkley Cease + Lee.