Enjoy browsing, but unless otherwise noted, these houses are private property and closed to the public -- so don't go tromping around uninvited.
(aka RUDOLPH) MICHAEL SCHINDLER
Encouraged by fellow Austrian architect Adolph Loos, Schindler moved to Chicago in 1914 to work for Ottenheimer Stern and Reichert. In 1916, he delivered 12 elaborate lectures at the Church School of Design in Chicago which became known as the Schindler "Program," his central design philosophy.
Schindler always wanted to work for Frank Lloyd Wright and in late 1918 Wright hired him. After obtaining the commission for the Imperial Hotel in Tokyo, a major project that involved being in Japan for several years, Schindler was promoted to run Wright's American operations out of the Oak Park IL studio.
In 1919, Schindler met and married Pauline Gibling (1893-1977) and in 1920 Wright sent Schindler west to Los Angeles to work on the Aline Barnsdall House.
Beyond his job for Wright, Schindler started his own independent practice in 1922. Because of this issue and the two men's massive egos, Schindler and Wright argued frequently and eventually separated as architects.
Richard Neutra worked for Wright in 1924 at Taliesin East but left after a few months to work in California with Schindler. Neutra shared space in Schindler's house with their wives. Their firm was called Schindler and Neutra, then later AGIC (the Architectural Group for Industry and Commerce).
Philip Johnson famously rejected Schindler's inclusion in the 1932 exhibition at the Museum of Modern Art because he felt Schindler was outside the International Style. Schindler responded by rejecting the categorizing of his designs as part of any style. Schindler and Neutra's relationship began to unravel, and the Neutra's moved out. They rarely interacted after that. When Neutra had a heart attack in 1953, he found himself in the same hospital room as Schindler who was dying of cancer. They made their peace before Schindler died.
The Schindlers divorced in the 1930's, however Pauline Schindler returned to the Kings Road house after a few years and stayed there until her death in 1977. They had one son, Mark, in 1922.
Schindler was a leader in the creative class in Los Angeles, a true bohemian. He hung out with celebrities in film, art, sculpture, and dance.
His only church design, the 1945 Bethlehem Baptist Church, 7403 S. Normandie, was abandoned for years in South Los Angeles. Faith Build International restored it as an active open-to-all church in 2014. Top two photos by Andrea Minton. Bottom photo by Steve Wallet.
Because there are several Schindler project lists floating around, we've included buildings which are often listed as houses but we found to be otherwise. Thanks to Catherine Westergaard Cramer for her extensive research.
Drawings and many photos courtesy of R. M. Schindler Papers, Architecture and Design Collection, Art Design & Architecture Museum, UC Santa Barbara.
1914 - A summer house, near Vienna, Austria. Unbuilt.
1915 - House for Dr. Thomas Paul Martin,
Taos NM. Unbuilt.
1916 - aka the
Log House named for its materials (not the owner). Unbuilt.
1916 - The J. B. Lee House renovation,
Maywood IL. Designed while working for
1916 - A three-room house, Oak Park IL. Designed while working
1919 - One-room apartments, Chicago IL. Designed while working for Ottenheimer Stern and Reichert. Unsure if built.
1920 - The James L. Irving Cottage, 1320 Isabella Street, Wilmette IL. Designed while working for Frank Lloyd Wright. The client lived here while his larger house next door (1318) designed by John S. Van Bergen was under construction. Sold to Joe Catrambone in May 2012 who took the house apart and planned to move the house to his Wauconda lakefront property in 2013.
1921 - The Jacob Korsen Apartments, aka Bungalow Court, 1038 Ardmore Street, Los Angeles CA. Unbuilt.
1922 - The Rudolf Schindler and Clyde Chace House, aka the Kings Road House, 833 North Kings Road, West Hollywood CA. Until his death in 1953, the building functioned as house and studio for Schindler, Clyde Chace, and their wives. Now a museum, the Kings Road House is owned by the nonprofit Friends of the Schindler House, with support from the Austrian Museum of Applied Arts (MAK). Open to the public. Featured in the movie Visual Acoustics. Top photo by Chris Mottalini.
1922 - The Mrs. F. Henderson Duplex, address unknown, Los Angeles CA. Built. Destroyed.
1922 - Various rental houses for O. S. Floren.
2) Duplex at 1000 Harper / 8245 Romaine Street, Los Angeles CA. Actor Leon Balasco lived here at some point. Photos by Andrea Minton.
O. S. Floren and Jordon Duplex,
1427-1429 North Alexandria Street,
Los Angeles CA.
5) The Charles J. Adolphson and O. S. Floren duplex, Carlton Way, Los Angeles CA. Unbuilt.
1922 - The B. Caplan, H. Yaffee, and S. Tuck Apartment Renovations, 2236 West 15th Street, Los Angeles CA. The Schindler archives have the plans. Destroyed.
1922 - The Mrs. E. E. Lacey Duplex, 830-832 Laguna Avenue, Los Angeles CA. Remodeled. 832 was sold in 2000 by Adam Hofberg to Ann Schag. Sold in 2001 to the Bishop of the Protestant Episcopal Church. Sold in 2006 to Kevin and Dianne Howe. Repainted orange in 2014. Photos by Andrea Minton.
1922 - The I. Binder and H. Gross Apartments, 103-111 North Soto Street, Los Angeles CA. Remodeled. Photo by Andrea Minton.
1922 - The Mrs. Russell Duplex. Location unknown. Unbuilt.
1922 - The Mrs. Edgar Temple Apartments, 947 Hyperion Street, Los Angeles CA. Unbuilt.
1923 - The Charles P. Lowe House I, 325 Ellenwood Drive, Eagle Rock CA. Designed while working for Frank Lloyd Wright. Commissioned 1922. Destroyed and replaced by the Ventura Freeway.
1923 - The Mrs. M. Davis Baker House,
Hollywood area of Los Angeles CA.
The William Dohs Duplex, aka the Four Flat Apartment Building,
5427 Harold Way,
1923 - The S. Friedman and A. Koploy
115 North Soto Street, Los Angeles CA.
Sold around 1978 to
Frank and David
Whitehead. Sold in 2006 to East LA Community Corporation. Sold in 2008
to LA Community Redevelopment. Sold to Las Margaritas, LLC in 2011. It
is a 16 bed apartment complex.
1923 - The Celia Kreutzer Apartments, 1620-1626 North Gower Street, Los Angeles CA. Now listed as one address, 1622. Converted to an office building. Around 1988, sold to Rick and Jeff Spalla, owners of Hollywood Newsreel Syndicate.
1923 - The Anne L. Paine Duplex, 1022-1024 Havenhurst Avenue, Los Angeles CA. Remodeled. Photo by Andrea Minton.
1923 - The Arthur Louis Fisher and Clara Fisher Apartments, 312 Breed Street South, Los Angeles CA. Commissioned 1922. This was a bungelow design that was unbuilt.
1923 - The Harvey Leepa and Esther Levine Beach Studio and Store, aka Castel La Mar, aka Castle by the Sea. Built on stilts. The bedrooms and the kitchen faced the ocean. They lived off the lobster he trapped and bartered for everything. It was all destroyed in a storm.
Harvey Leepa was the lover then husband to Esther Gentle, who became Leepa when they married. Harvey was a painter who loved to fish and restore artwork. Esther was an artist, a sculptor and designer of objects who came from Brooklyn. She married before WWI and that husband died very soon after son Allen was born. She met Leepa, a watercolorist from Latvia, they were together several years, then married, and Allen took his name. In her circles of artists she got to know Richard Neutra as well as Schindler. After her marriage to Leepa dissolved, she was involved in an affair with a man that she married later, with whom she had twins. After that relationship, she left her kids with her mother, got an occupational therapy license, moved to Florida, and in 1949 married Abraham Rattner.
1923 - The Willis E. Purviance House, 944 Maltman Avenue, Los Angeles CA. A dispute between Schindler and Purviance resulted in a pressed-brick facade in the front section.
1923 - Four apartments for Annie Burrell, Los Angeles CA: Commissioned 1922. According to the Schindler archives, none were built.
1924 - The Paul Popenoe Desert Cabin, Coachella CA. His name is sometimes spelled in error as Popinoe or Popinoff. Destroyed. Commissioned 1922.
1924 - The Mrs. E.
Braun Apartments Renovations,
6092 Selma Avenue,
Los Angeles CA.
1924 - The John Cooper Packard House, 931 North Gainsborough Drive, South Pasadena CA. Many renovations. Destroyed in 2001 and replaced with this house, bottom photo.
1924 - The A. Plotkin House, Alvarado Street, Los Angeles CA. Unbuilt.
1924 - The F. M. Weiner House Renovation, 1120 Court Street, Los Angeles CA. Unbuilt..
1924 - The Helena J. Rubenstein Remodel and Addition, aka the Edward William Titus House, aka Tall Trees, 4 Indian Chase Drive, Greenwich CT. The original house was built in 1909. Commissioned 1923. Sold in 1965 to James and Ann Leary. Sold in 1998 to Sheryl Leach, who did renovations in 2003. Sold in 2008. Photo above from around 2010.
1924 - The Mr. and Mrs. Job Harriman Colony, a
community based on
1924 - The Philip M. Lovell Mountain House,
1925 - The Philip M. Lovell Farmhouse, aka the Carlton Park Ranch, Fallbrook CA. Destroyed, burned down.
1925 - The J. Eads How House, 2422 Silver Ridge Avenue, Los Angeles CA. Built by J. H. Heckman. Eads How was known as "king of the hoboes." The bottom floor was for years a dorm for homeless people coming up from the railroad area below. Landscaping by Richard Neutra. Sold to Michael La Fetra. Renovated by Jeff Fink. Was on the market for four years. Sold in 2012 to Brad Kemble and Jimmy Ferrareze. Bottom two photos by Andrea Minton.
1925 - The El Pueblo Ribera Apartments, aka El Pueblo Rivera, 230-248 Gravilla Street, La Jolla, San Diego CA. These were 12 vacation rentals owned by for W. L. Lloyd, arranged for excellent views of the Pacific Ocean with large garden courts. They have been altered since (bottom color photos) and were partially damaged from a fire. The 12 units were merged into 6.
230: Sold to Mary Tellep. Sold in 1989 to Gerald Nahas. Sold in 1993 to William Rogers. Sold in 1996 to Hagen Trust. Sold in 2000 John Sanborn.
234: Sold to Leslie
Rogers. Sold in 2001 to Ryan Stein. Sold in 2012 to Newton Family Trust .
238: Sold to Roy Hagen .
242: Sold to William Rogers. Sold in 1998 to Capers-Hedges. Sold in 2004 to Ryan Stein. Sold in 2011 Harvey S. Moltz.
: Sold to William P. Rogers. Sold
in 1998 to David and Heather Dickens. Sold in 2000 to William Webb. Sold
in 2004 to Capers-Hedges. Sold to Jeffrey and Reena Racki .
248: Sold in 1998 to William Webb. Sold in 2007 to Gerald V. Casale Trust, Gina V. Nieto.
1925 - The Brundin House, El Monte CA. Unbuilt.
1925 - The S.
5806 Carlton Way,
Los Angeles CA.
1926 - The Hain House, Los Angeles CA. Unbuilt, according to Vienna to Los Angeles by Esther McCoy. Schindler did design the Hain Health Food Store at 329 West Third Street that same year.
1926 - The Jessica Morganthau Studio, Palm Springs CA. Unsure if built. Needs verification.
1926 - The Dr. M. and Mrs. K. Sorg House, 530 South Putney Avenue (now 600 South Walnut Grove Avenue) San Gabriel CA. Commissioned 1924. Richard Neutra was the lead designer. The street was renamed and renumbered, so the house is now at 250 South Walnut Grove Avenue, San Gabriel CA. Owner Chin-Yeh Kuo.
1926 - The Philip Lovell Beach House, 1242 West Ocean Front, Newport Beach CA. Commissioned 1922 with the first of several sets of drawings. Alterations in 1947. Transferred to Gary Lovell and his wife, Bobby.
1926 - The Briggs House, Bay Island, address unknown, Newport Beach CA. Built.
1926 - The Levy Apartments, Los Angeles CA. Unbuilt.
1926 - The Hennessy Brothers Apartment Building, Mariposa Street, Los
Angeles CA. Unbuilt.
1926 - The M. Brown Apartments, LaJolla and Olive Streets, Los Angeles CA. Unbuilt.
1927 - The Hutsen House. Unbuilt.
1927 - The Joseph H. Miller Apartments, 1807 North Wilton Place, Los Angeles CA. Unbuilt.
1927 - The Joseph H. Miller Apartments, Shenendoah Drive, Los Angeles CA. Unbuilt.
1927 - The Joseph H. Miller Apartments, aka the Jardinette Apartments, aka the Marathon Apartments, 5128 Marathon Street, Los Angeles CA. Designed with Richard Neutra. They were originally called the Jardin Apartments and were to be sited at Van Ness and Harold Way in Hollywood. Miller ran out of funds and left town. The contractor took ownership and finished the job. At the time of construction, it was the most unusual apartment complex in LA. As of 2011, the property had deteriorated but still housed tenants. Bottom photo by Andrea Minton.
1927 - The J. E. Richardson House Remodel, 8272 Marmont Lane, Los Angeles CA. Has been extensively remodeled since Schindler, so much so that most of the Modernism is gone. Sold in 1997 to Stewart Paul. Sold in 2003 to John McCourt. A rental as of 2013.
1927 - The Olga Anna "Anushka" Zacsek House, Sayre Lane, Los Angeles CA. Unbuilt. Born in Budapest, she previously was an actress in Hollywood under the name Olga Grey and left the profession in 1920. Zacsek passed the bar in 1932 and became an attorney. She represented Schindler in his business dealings and his divorce. Schindler designed a beach house for her in Playa del Rey (see below).
1927 - The Translucent House for Aline Barnsdall, Palos Verdes CA. Unbuilt.
1928 - The Martel House, Los Angeles CA. Sometimes mispelled as Martec. Commissioned 1926. Unbuilt.
1928 - The Mrs. Slemmons House, Arcadia CA. Unbuilt.
1928 - The Edmund J. Gibling House, Schindler's wife's father, 2152 Parnell Avenue, Los Angeles CA. Commissioned 1924. Remodeled in 1935. Destroyed, replaced in 1952 with another house (photo above), not by Schindler.
1928 - The C. B. Price House, Los Angeles CA. Commissioned 1926. Unbuilt.
1929 - The David Grokowsky House, 816 Bonita Drive, South Pasadena CA. More stucco, redwood and a steep hill site. The roof appears to be flat, steps up in stages, to match the incline of the hill, thus, allowing light to enter. The main entrance is on the top of the hill and the roof of the garage is used as a sundeck. Over time the house endured poor maintenance, unsympathetic modifications, and deterioration due in part to the instability of original building materials. Commissioned 1928. Restored by the ARG Group.
1929 - The Abernathy Hotel. Address unknown. Sometimes listed as a house. Built.
1929 - The H. D. Diffen House Remodel, Avalon, Catalina Island CA. Unbuilt.
1929 - The Frankel Apartments, 619 Heliotrope Drive, Los Angeles CA. Unbuilt.
1929 - The J. J. Newberry Store,
developed in association with Herman Sachs. Unbuilt.
1929 - The A. Press Apartments, 4325 Willow Brook Avenue, Los Angeles CA. Unbuilt.
1929 - The S. Vorkapic Addition, 2100 Benedict Canyon, Beverly Hills CA. Unbuilt.
1929 - The Herman Sachs Apartments, aka Manola Court, aka Manolina Court, 1811 Edgecliff Drive, Los Angeles CA. Commissioned 1926. Also listed on Lucile Street, as the two streets are on opposite sides of the site. Expanded 1934-40 to a total of sixteen cityview residences. Schindler stepped the buildings up the hillside, and created community by connecting living space with garden walkways. Schindler did original furniture for the building as well.
1930 - The Viroque Baker and Pratt Project.
Turns out this was an interior
1930 - The Gisela Bennati project. Not a house renovation but signage for a store, Lucca Olive Oil Company, at 3281 Oakshore Drive, Los Angeles CA. No renovations.
1930 - The J. M. Cohan Project, 3069 West Pico Blvd., Los Angeles CA. Turns out this was not a house but a market. Photo by Andrea Minton.
1930 - The Foley House. Location unknown. Unbuilt.
1930 - The Paul Sloan Renovations, 8241 De Longpre, Los Angeles CA. Unbuilt.
1930 - The George L. Wing Project, Banning CA. Turns out this was a hotel and subdivision. Unbuilt.
1930 - The Wornow House, Hollywood Hills, Los Angeles CA. Unbuilt.
1930 - The Kopenlanoff House, Palm Springs CA. Part of a subdivision scheme. Neither house nor subdivision was built.
1930 - The Robert
F. Elliott House,
4237 Newdale Drive,
Los Angeles CA.
1930 - The Henry Braxton and Viola Brothers
5705 Ocean Front Walk,
Marina del Rey, CA.
1931 - The Mrs. Cherry House Renovations, 3910 South Walton Avenue, Los Angeles CA. Original house was built in 1918. Sold to Burnett Realty in 2003.
1931 - The Elmer A.
George Project. Turns out this was not a house but a store.
1931 - The Ethel and Charles H. Wolfe Summer House, Old Stage Road, Avalon, Catalina Island CA. Commissioned 1928. The Wolfes met Schindler at a party for the Lovell Beach House. There were three living areas: a top apartment for the Wolfes, an middle apartment for guests, and a lower servant quarters. Sold to a Los Angeles attorney. By 1996, according to architect David LeClerc, the long-neglected Wolfe apartment was used by locals to hook up and the middle apartment was occupied by a "surfer dude." Sadly destroyed in 2002. Right photo by David LeClerc. Bottom photo by Ezra Stoller/ESTO.
1931 - The Monti Hicks Project. Turns out this was not a house; it was a retail commercial building. Unbuilt.
1931 - The William Hiller Playroom (top) and Studio (bottom) additions. Location unknown. Probably unbuilt.
1931 - The Rudolph Marx House Remodel, 1557 North Courtney Avenue, Los Angeles CA. Originally built in 1922. Sold to actress Sally A. Struthers since at least 2006. Appears to be a multi-unit rental.
1931 - The G. Stojano House Garage, 3501 Dahlia Street, Los Angeles CA. Original house built in 1922. Owner as of 2011 is Janice Edge.
1932 - The Hans N. Von Koerber House, 408 Via Monte d'Oro, Redondo Beach area of Torrance CA. Commissioned 1931. Owned by Patrick M. Smith since 1998. Deteriorating fast.
1932 - The H. Lierd and Ethel Todd House, West Vernon Place, Los Angeles CA. Unbuilt.
1932 - The E. H. Shirley Farmhouse. Part of a development which included farm buildings. Unbuilt.
1933 - The O. F. Fredericks project. Turns out this was not a house but a bakery booth at Grand Central Market in Los Angeles.
1933 - The Orlof K. Farr Dance Hall addition in Denver CO. Unbuilt.
1933 - The Sid Grauman dance hall and restaurant on Hollywood Boulevard, Los Angeles CA. Unbuilt.
1933 - The Eric Locke House, Los Angeles CA. Unbuilt.
1933 - The Perstein House Renovations, 111 and 111A Tamalpais Road, Berkeley CA. Sold to E. O. Lawrence who owned it for about 70 years. At some point it was converted to a duplex. Sold again. One side for rent in 2012.
1934 - The E. Brandstetter House Remodel. Location unknown, status unknown.
1934 - The John J. Buck House, 5958 Eighth Street, Los Angeles CA. Listed as Los Angeles Historic Cultural Monument #122. Country Club Projects, an art gallery coop, operates from this house as of 2012.
1934 - The William Lingenbrink Cabin, 3978 Blackbird Way, Calabasas CA. Lingenbrink had hoped to develop an entire community of modernist homes called Park Moderne but they never caught on. Schindler was commissioned in 1929 to build three houses. One was destroyed, one never completed (probably the top photo), and the third one here was indeed built in 1934. The Park Moderne project was abandoned in 1938. Sold to Mark and Pip Field. There were several additions between 1982 and 1993. Sold in 1993 to Timothy and Jan Grimm. Sold in 1996 to Michael and Cheryl Adler. Photos by Andrea Minton.
1934 - The Dondo House Renovation, originally 583 Tamalpais Road, Berkeley CA. Address is now 58-60 Tamalpais; 58 is the main house up on the hill, and 60 is a small cottage at the street. Sold. Sold for a third time in the 1970's. Color photos by Sydnor Elkins.
The current owner (2014) believes that the Schindler renovation as drawn was never built. When they moved into the house in the early 70's, they did renovations, and added a south facing enclosed entry porch, somewhat similar to what is shown in the Schindler drawing.
1934 - The Mrs. C. Goodman House Renovation, 2149 Casitas Avenue, Altadena CA. Unbuilt.
1934 - The Mrs. B. Hunter House. Location unknown. Unbuilt.
1934 - The H. R. King House Renovations, 10354 La Grange, Los Angeles CA. This is a small complex of storybook cottages at the corner of three streets, each with different addresses. 10354 La Grange is the structure to the right of the garage. Photos by Andrea Minton.
1934 - The Nerenbaum Project, not a house but a service station. Unbuilt.
1934 - The Patrick S. O'Reilly House, Glendale CA. Unbuilt.
1934 - The Ransom House, Palm Springs CA. Unbuilt.
1934 - House at Leimert Park, Los Angeles CA. Unbuilt.
1934 - Gail Rheingold, 8730 Sunset Boulevard, Los Angeles CA. This was not a house; it was for King's Club Bar. Destroyed in 1965 for Sunset Towers.
1934 - The W. E. Oliver House, 2236 Micheltorena Street, Silver Lake area of Los Angeles CA. Commissioned 1931. Top photo is an early draft; the house was reduced in size when finally built. Sold to Hugh D. and Julie Oliver.
Around 1934 - Studio, Culver City CA. Unsure if built.
1935 - The Lionel Stander Remodel, 2006 La Brea Terrace, Los Angeles CA. Original was a 1908 farm house. Appears to have been renovated several more times. Sold before 2005 to the Michael and Robin McConnell Family Trust. Sold in 2010 to Lucas White and Normandie Keith.
1935 - The Lionel Stander Apartment, Vine Street, Los Angeles CA. Unbuilt.
1935 - The Phil Heraty House, Los Angeles CA. Unbuilt. Heraty was later a developer associated with Eichler in northern California in the 1950's.
1935 - The Mrs. Clore Warne House, 2039 North Alvarado Street, Los Angeles CA. Commissioned 1923. Unbuilt.
1935 - The Haines House, 5112 Alicia Drive, Dana Point CA. Commissioned 1934. Drawings from the Architecture & Design Collection, UCSB University Art Museum. Destroyed in the 1980's.
1935 - The Elizabeth Van Patten House, 2320 Moreno Drive, Los Angeles CA. Commissioned 1934. Schindler also designed the furniture. Sold in 1997 to Timothy Armstrong.
1935 - The Mrs. F. Miller House, a residence
initially planned for Milton and Ruth Shep (later Polen).
1936 - The Alexander and Sasha Kaun House, 112 Western Drive, Richmond CA. Commissioned 1935. Photo from California Arts & Architecture, May 1937. Also published in the November 1936 Architectural Forum in a group of housed designed for under $5,000. Has been remodeled and added onto such that the Schindler plan is unrecognizable.
1935 - The John de Keysor Duplex, 1911 Highland Avenue, Los Angeles CA. Often listed as DeKeyser. Published in Architectural Forum March 1936. Sold to Edmund Fladung. Sold to Xavier Carrica. Sold in 2007 to Head to The Hills LLC, owned by Carrica. There was some sort of lien, and the property ended up with Bank of America which sold it in August 2013.
1935 - The W. J. Delahoyde House, Redcliff Street, Glendale CA. Unbuilt.
1936 - The Manya S. Kahn House, First Street and Harper Avenue, Los Angeles CA. Unbuilt. Commissioned 1934.
1936 - The William Jacobs House, Stadella Road, Beverly Glen CA. Unbuilt.
1936 - The Warshaw House, North Lucile Avenue, Los Angeles CA. Unbuilt.
1936 - The D. Malloy Renovations, 1881 Laurel Canyon Drive, Studio City CA. Unbuilt. Original house built in 1920. As of 2013, owned by Lance Pereira and Victoria Miller Trust.
1936 - The Morris Geggie House, Pasadena CA. Commissioned 1935.
1936 - The Clifton C. Fitzpatrick House, aka the Fitzpatrick/Leland House, 8078 Woodrow Wilson Drive, Los Angeles CA. Sold to actress Martha Raye. Sold in 1990 to Russ Leland. Previous owners had covered over the large windows with sheetrock, walled in the second-floor balcony and plastered over a fireplace. Working with architect and contractor Jeff Fink, Leland reinstated floor-to-ceiling living room windows, worked with fabricators to recreate Schindler's original designs for steel-framed windows and sliding glass doors, removed walls from the second-floor balcony and plaster from a brick fireplace, and shored up the home's foundations. Although it took ten years, Leland successfully recaptured the spirit of Schindler's vision. In 2008 he donated it to the MAK Center. For his generous donation Leland was honored by Austria. The house was used for a few years as the MAK Urban Future Initiative. Second photo by Wayne Andrews/ESTO. Available to visit but quite expensive.
1936 - Renovations to the E. Pavaroff House, 1641 North Crescent Heights Boulevard, Los Angeles CA. Sold to James Burnett. Sold to Bruce Ross. Sold in 1997 to Gloria Grossman. Sold to Peter O'Meara and Kayla Apert. Sold in 2013.
1936 - The Ralph G. Walker House, 2100 Kenilworth Avenue, Los Angeles CA. Renovations in 1939 and 1941. Top photo by Wayne Andrews/ESTO. Commissioned 1935. Owned since at least 2008 by Janice R. Morrow; put into a trust in her name in 2010.
1936 - The Hacienda Place Residence, city unknown. Unsure if built.
1936 - The J. Veissi House, 32-36 Hilldale Avenue,Los Angeles CA. Commissioned 1932. Unbuilt.
1936 - The Victoria McAlmon House, 2717-2721 Waverly Drive, of Los Angeles CA. Commissioned 1935. Sold to Vicie Sue Holder (trustee) and Donald E Johnson (family trust). Sold in 2008 to Lawrence Schaffer and Eric Jan Lamers.
1936 - The Eric Mack House, 1258 North Hilldale, Los Angeles CA. Sold in 2010 to Deborah Macmillan. Photos by Andrea Minton.
1936 - The Schuettner House, Los Tilos Street, Los Angeles CA. Unbuilt.
1936 - The S. SeligsonRenovations, 1761 Orange Grove Drive, Los Angeles CA. Built. Remodeled again. Sold to 2003 Caren Michael Trust. For sale 2011-2014. Top two photos by Andrea Minton.
1936 - The Seff House Renovations, 605 North Arden, Beverly Hills CA. Sold to Anne and David Bell. Sold in 2001 to Jeff Shahram. Sold in 2001 to Bijan and Shahdokht Dokhanian.
1937 - The Gisela Bennati Cabin, Lake Arrowhead CA. Commissioned 1934. This is considered the first A-frame house in America. The style did not catch on until some 20 years later.
1937 - The H. Warren Remodeling, 1115 North Beverly Drive, Beverly Hills CA. Schindler designed furniture for the house as well. Sold in 2002 to the Douglas and Ann Netter Trust. Extensively remodeled in 2008, photo above.
1937 - The Henwar Rodakiewicz House, 9121 Alta Cedro Drive, Los Angeles CA. Sold in 2003 to Jacqueline Monash. Restored, but not in much sympathy with Schindler's original design.
1938 - The Peter Yates and Frances Mullen Studio remodel, 1735 Micheltorena Street, Los Angeles CA. Later made into a duplex. Sold in 1996 to current owner Thom Andersen who undid the duplex and did a restoration. Photos by Roger Straus III/ESTO.
1938 - The A. L. Bubeshko Apartments, 2036 Griffith Park Boulevard, Los Angeles CA. The building on the right was built first. The left building was added by Schindler in 1941. Sold to Joe DeMarie and Madeleine Brand. Bottom two photos by Andrea Minton.
1938 - The Jane Storm House, Los Angeles CA. Unbuilt.
1938 - The I. Rosenthal Apartments, Los Angeles CA. Unbuilt.
1938 - The Mrs. A. Sharpless Studio House, 1500 Viewsite Terrace, Los Angeles CA. As of 2006, owned by George D. Mancini. Sold to Richard Byrd. Sold in 2010 to Viewsite LLC. Sold in 2011 to 1500 Viewsite Terrace. Sold in 2013 to Iris Partners. Top photo by Andrea Minton. Needs field verification as a Schindler; listed in The Architectural Drawings of R.M. Schindler but not the Schindler archives
1938 - The Arthur Timme House, 1745-47 North Vista, Los Angeles CA. Unbuilt.
1938 - The Selmer N. Westby House, 1805 Maltman Avenue, Los Angeles CA.
1938 - The Kay Francis Remodel,
Briarcrest Lane, Los Angeles CA. The original house, above, was built in
1937. Photo by Maynard Parker. The house appeared in a
1939 Home and Garden and a 1943 Architectural Digest. Unclear if
the Schindler remodel, bottom photos, was ever built; needs
verification. Modified in 1965. Has been sold.
Unclear if the Schindler remodel, bottom photos, was ever built; needs verification. Modified in 1965. Has been sold.
1938 - The Burke House and Apartments, Balboa, Newport Beach CA. Unbuilt.
1938 - The El Djey and M. Aldrich House, 2432 Laurel Pass, Los Angeles CA. Unbuilt.
1938 - The Olga Zacsek Beach House, 114 Ellen Avenue, Playa Del Rey CA. Commissioned 1936. Additions by Schindler in 1950. Destroyed when the land was absorbed into LAX airport. Photo from R. M. Schindler by Judith Sheine and Gustavo Gili.
1939 - The Guy C. Wilson House, 2090 Redcliff Street, Silver Lake area of Los Angeles CA. Commissioned 1935. Sold to Ken Reiner (who commissioned John Lautner's Silvertop). Sold to architect Donald Hensmen. Sold in 1972 to architect Bernard Zimmerman. Sold in 1977. Sold in 2005 to Noah Baylin. Top photo by Wayne Andrews/ESTO. Bottom two photos by Andrea Minton.
1939 - The Mrs. S.Ted Falk Apartments, 1810 Lucile, also 3631 Carnation Avenue, Los Angeles CA.
1940 - The Samuel Goodwin House, 3807 Reklaw Drive, Studio City CA. Top photo by Wayne Andrews/ESTO. Owned by one family until sold in 2013 to Goodwin House LLC by Catherine Crisp-Martin, co-trustee with Nikolaus Schmoll (died 2011) in March of 2013. Nikolaus Schmoll was married to Yolanda Goodwin.