EDWARD WALTER "TERRY" R. WAUGH, AIA (1913-1966)
Architect Terry Waugh was a South African native. He studied at Houghton College in Johannesburg in 1931 and then entered the University of Edinburgh Schools of Engineering and Architecture, graduating with an BA and MA in 1935 and 1938.
In 1939, he returned to South Africa and practiced architecture for a year with his father, E. H. Waugh, under the name Waugh and Waugh. After a short stint as a draftsman with Moffat & Harvey and TN Duncan, he served in the South African Army for two years.
He immigrated to the US in 1941 and worked as a structural designer for Fluor, an aircraft engineer for Hughes Tool Company, and a set designer for Columbia Pictures.
In 1944, he got a fellowship to the Cranbrook Academy of Art where he studied under Eero Saarinen and worked in his firm. After teaching at the University of Kansas in 1947 and working in private practice in Kansas City (Runnells, Clark, Waugh and Matsumoto), he moved in 1948 to teach at the University of Oklahoma, recruited by Dean Henry Kamphoefner.
Kamphoefner was later appointed first d]Dean of the School of Design at North Carolina State University and recruited Waugh, Matsumoto, Duncan Stewart, and several other faculty and students to move to Raleigh in 1948. Waugh taught at NCSU until 1951, then was briefly partners with Ed Loewenstein and later Raymond Sawyer with an office on Hillsborough Street. In 1952, he opened his own firm, Edward Waugh Associates and continued it when he became became campus planner for NCSU in 1957. Local commissions included the NC Nuseum of Art downtown.
From 1963-1965, he was Chief Architect for the La Molina Agricultural University of Peru, designing dozens of buildings with American architect Robert Etheridge.
In North Carolina, he established the School Design Standards for the Department of Public Instruction and designed many Raleigh schools, including Frances Lacy Elementary, Sherwood Bates Elementary, and Daniels Junior High School. He was associated with Holloway and Reeves for design of the round Harrelson Hall at NCSU and with Milton Small for the design of the Winston-Salem Coliseum.
Waugh was also a painter. Above is a 1965 impressionist portrait of his daughter Stella, now in the collection of Bill Robertson of Raleigh. In October 1965, the year before his March 1966 death of a cerebral hemorrhage, he had a public show of paintings and plans at NCSU.
In 1961, in conjunction with
Holloway and Reeves,
Waugh designed Harrelson Hall
at NCSU, the first cylindrical classroom structure ever built
on a university campus. It has a 206 foot diameter and provides an
unusual focal point for the university plaza--a brick-paved
courtyard reminiscent of St. Mark's Square in Venice. NCSU has
pretty wanted to tear it down for years...demolition is now
scheduled for 2016.
Waugh is pictured with George Matsumoto and Joy West, a talented artist who was married to Clifford West. The picture was taken in 1945 at a party celebrating their winning the Chicago Herald American International City Plan Competition Grand Prize of $10,000. Waugh was partners at that time with Matsumoto and David Geer.
In 1951, Waugh designed the Frances Lacy Elementary School located at Lake Boone Trail and Ridge Road in Raleigh. The girl on the right is Waugh's daughter, Stella. As of 2009, it was destroyed to make way for a new school building on the same site.Chapel Hill homeowner, attorney, and City Council member Sally Greene discusses her Terry Waugh house and why she chose a conservation easement. Transcript of Sally Greene, above.
1951 - Waugh's own house at 3211 Churchill Road, Raleigh. Bought in 1983 by Charles and Sherri Grantham. Bought in 1992 by Carolyn Elliott. Operated as a rental house. Four bedroom, 2.5 baths, with hardwood floors. There's a separate 1-bedroom, 1-bath apartment which originally housed Waugh's mother-in-law. A garage with rooftop deck was added at some point, along with a separate entrance off Westfield Road. There's extensive landscaping, including brick and rock walls, steps, and terraces. Top black and white photos by Terry Waugh. Top color photos by George Smart. Bottom color photo by Leilani Carter.
1952 - The Richard and Corinne Preston House, 3201 Churchill, Raleigh. Sold in 1976 to John P. Sall. Sold in 1980 to Robert L. and Frances C. Weintraub. Sold in 1982 to David and Barbara Goist. Sold in 2014 to David and Aimee Zaas, who destroyed it in the fall. Photos by Richard Ginn / Virtograph.
1952 - The Charles D. and Gladys Van Cleave Residence, 752 Old Mill Road, Chapel Hill. Sold in 1979 to Brian and Moyra Kileff. Sold in 1980 to David and Elizabeth U. McGowan. Sold in 2000 to Parker C. Sniffen and Natalie Mason. Color photo by Dail Dixon.
1953 - The Colin G. "Tim" and Shirley Thomas House, 408 Morgan Creek Road, Chapel Hill. Landscape architecture by Lewis Clarke. Daughter Barbara Thomas and husband Patrick Martell took over the property from other heirs in 2005. Black and white photos by Roland Giduz.
1954 - The Paul and Anne Bunce Residence, aka The Aerie, 970 Fairfield Drive, Chapel Hill. On 30 acres. Waugh put on an addition in 1957. 3660 square feet. One of the most well-preserved Waugh homes of that era. The fir paneling, commonly damaged over time, is in exquisite condition. As of 2011 occupied by his son, Greg, and spouse Julie. The kitchen counters and cabinetry are original, but new renovations are planned during 2009, including the kitchen, bathrooms, new windows, and restaining the outside. Top photos by George Smart. Bottom photo from 1956.
1954 - The Kerr L. White Residence, 603 Morgan Creek Road, Chapel Hill, designed with Gilbert Slack. Sold in 1963 to William Fred Mayes. Sold in 1968 to Richard and Maxine Soloway. As of 2011 owned by Laura Banner and Richard Soloway. 2000 square feet.
1954 - The Kenneth Penrod Residence, 2745 Dogwood Road, Durham. Penrod did the basic design with architectural help from Waugh and his draftsman Gil Slack. Sold in 1959 to Henry F. and Dorothy Pickett. Sold in 1964 to William G. and Margaret B. Frasier. After Mr. Frasier died, his widow sold it in 1969 to William T. and Sarah S. Hamlin. Sold in 1993 to Christian Mueller-Medlicott. Sold in 2007 to Polly Medlicott. Sold in 2009 to Leila Daly.
1954 - The Thomas Wohlson Farmer Residence, 1304 Mason Farm Rd, Chapel Hill, designed with Harry Bates. 2200 sf. As of 2011 owned by the Phyllis E. Farmer Trust. Photo by Julie Hollenbeck.
1955 - The Craig Addition, 417 Whitehead, Chapel HIll. Added a car port and garden terrace. For sale in 2013.
1955 - The Thomas G. and Irene P. Winner Residence, Duke Homesites, Durham. Designed with Harry Bates. Unbuilt, as the bid for the finished design was well over the allotted budget. The Winners sold their lot and bought an existing home.
1956 - The Colin and Joan McIntyre Macnair House, built in 1925. Joan Macnair inherited it from her family and hired Waugh to do extensive renovations and an addition. 4508 Avent Ferry Road, Raleigh. Transferred in 1982 to her heirs. Sold in 1986 to Caroline Irwin Macnair. Sold in 1992 to Ronald and Milou Harrison. Sold to Edwin and Ardis Hatch in 1993. Sold to Dennis Elledge in 1998. Sold in 2002 to Katherine M. Mason. 2473 square feet.
1956 - The Nathan and
Margaret Richardson Womack Residence,
Whitfield Road, Chapel Hill.
1956 - The Bernard G. and Ruth Marck Greenberg Residence, 425 Brookside Drive, Chapel Hill. Commissioned 1954. Designed with Harry Bates. Built by Edward Mann. Same plan and elevation as for the Alden, Carter and Van Cleaves Residences in Chapel Hill. Sold in 2010 to Zhihui Xie and Buer Sen.
1957 - The Harley and Janet Shands Residence, 410 Morgan Creek Road, Chapel Hill, designed with Raymond Sawyer. Sold in 1963 to Winton and Lapreal Wilcox. Sold in 1966 to David and Maeda Galinsky. Still owned by Maeda Galinsky as of 2011. The H-shaped house is divided into four sections: a main living and kitchen area, a breezeway, four bedrooms overlooking a pool, and a former carport now converted to a small apartment without a kitchen. The gray pattern above is the original cool formica countertop in the kitchen. Photos by George Smart.
1958 - The Waugh House, 1301 Dixie Trail, at the corner of Leonard and Dixie Trail, Raleigh. The original house was a small bungalow designed by Waugh for his mother-in-law. Sold in 1961 to George and Katherine W. (Kay) Hall. Sold in 1965 to architect Ben Taylor, who renovated or added on five times. Sold in 1999 to Dean and Marcella McCord, Taylor's daughter. Waugh's draftsman Gil Slack recalls that Waugh intended this to be a template from which many more houses would be produced.
1959 - The Mehmet (Nick) and Virginia Uyanik House, 3516 Andrews Lane, Raleigh. Sold in 1995 to Kurt F. Eichenberger and Donna G. Anderson. Eichenberger designed an addition and renovation later that year. Photo by Sally Greene.
1959 - The Bill and Chicita Culberson House, aka Villa Pinea, 5501 George King Road, Durham, overlooking a pond on 12 acres. They were both botanists. Built by Charlie Parker. Two greenhouses were added in the late 70's/early 80's. The Culbersons chose Waugh by wandering around Morgan Creek and asking owners of the most interesting houses about their architect. Pictures by Sally Greene and George Smart. Donated around 2009 to the NC Botanical Garden Foundation.
1959 - The Bernard Abrams Residence, 8508 Bald Eagle Lane, Wilmington NC. Built by Alex Fonvielle Jr. Sold to Ronald Sinclair Trust. Renovated and expanded in 1991 and 2005.
1960 - The Philip S. and Marylou Hendrick Residence, 758 Old Mill Road, Chapel Hill. Sold in 2001 to Kevin Lee Needham. Sold in 2006 to Karin C. Millett and Gene Ellis. Sold in 2014 to Traci and David A'Lessio.
Other houses, taken from a Waugh job list:
1953 - The Joel and Shirley Colton Residence, Chapel Hill. Designed with architect Gilbert M. Slack. Built by Edward Mann.
1954 - The Dr. Thomas S. and Caroline Royster Guest House, possibly Oxford Road, Henderson NC, designed with Harry Bates. Located in 120 acres. Commissioned 1953. 7 bed, 5 ½ bath, 5286 sf, two story. James A. Davidson and S. B. Jones were contractors. Charles F. Gillette was the landscape architect. Kitchen renovation in the 1970's. The family gave the property to a University who sold it to Joe and Kym Tyler.
1950's - The Henderson Residence (plus a later addition). Could be the Royster House. No address. Do you know where it is?
1950's - The Fowler Residence. No address. Do you know where it is?
1950's - The Bryant Residence Addition, Avent Ferry Road, Raleigh. Designed with Harry Bates. No address. Do you know where it is?
1950's - The Eckels Residence Addition. No address. Do you know where it is?
1950's - The Alden
1950's - The Carter
1950's - The Van Cleaves
Residence, Chapel Hill.
1950's - The Shim Residence. No address. Do you know where it is?
1950's - The Duncan Residence. No address. Do you know where it is?
1950's - The McLauchlin and Carter Residence. No address. Do you know where it is?
Sources include: M. Ruth Little's The Development of Modernism in Raleigh 1945-1965, Louise Creed, Lisa Creed, Patrick Mortell, Waugh's archive at NCSU Special Collections, The South Builds, New Architecture in the Old South by Edward Waugh and his wife Elizabeth Waugh, The Town and Gown Architecture of Chapel Hill, North Carolina 1795-1975 by M. Ruth Little, A Guide for Chapel Hill, Durham, and Raleigh: 1956 AIA Regional Conference, Sally Greene, daughter Stella Waugh, interview with Gilbert Slack, interview with Raymond Sawyer, Katherine M. Mason, Philip B. Manire.